These are experimental visualisations of work in progress. They may change or be removed. (For this reason, I do not recommend referencing them in academic publications!)
Unless stated otherwise, the visualisations all use open source dataviz tools, the code/data is licensed as CC-BY-SA and you're welcome to copy and re-use under the terms of that licence.
I've started moving away from D3-based visualisations to make more use of R. I'm finding it better suited to my data workflows and easier to work with.
Petitions in context
- London Lives Sessions Papers 1690-1799: page (image) counts
- Petitions in London Lives Sessions Papers, page counts by year, 1690-1799
- Same again, proportional
- London Lives Petitions by Court, 1690-1799 (grouped bar chart)
- Petitions by year and court, 1690-1799 (stacked bar chart)
- London Lives Petitions by Decade, 1690-1799
- London Lives Petitions Pie, by Court
Petition word counts
Note: these charts use reworked versions of the public release files, from which marginal annotations etc that are not part of the body of the petition have been trimmed. May be slow to load.
Comparing types of petition
- Parish petitions (from churchwardens and overseers of the poor) v others, 1690-1799 (v1: stacked bar chart)
- Parish petitions v others 1690-1799 (v2: grouped bar chart)
- Parish petitions v others 1690-1799 (v3: proportional stacked chart)
- Parish petitions concerning settlement/removal disputes, 1690-1799
- Parish petitions v others: comparing average word counts
- Same comparison, log scale
- Comparing gender of petitioners, 1690-1799 (proportional stacked chart)
- Comparison of average word counts of petitions from men and women, 1690-1799
All site content/data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License unless otherwise stated.